- Take 80,000 email addresses, and split them into two groups.
- The first 40,000 receive a month of typical email marketing messages.
- The second 40,000 customers do not receive an email marketing message, for a full month.
After a month, segment your test results by store distance.
- 0 to 5 miles from a store.
- 6 to 10 miles from a store.
- 11 to 25 miles from a store.
- 26+ miles from a store.
You'll find that you miss half of the sales that email causes, because customers who live within five miles of a store don't visit your website, instead opting to read your email marketing messages and then visit your nearby store.
Give it a try, folks.