Kohl's is one of those businesses that gets positive press for online growth.
Of course, online growth isn't what winning is all about, is it? Online growth is comparable to an NFL having a good downfield passing game ... flashy stuff and good for highlights, no doubt ... but you need to be strong in passing and running and defense and special teams to "win".
What does Kohl's look like, on an overall basis?
This is a business that is performing at a very average level ... mostly because sales are not growing, but Management is able to squeeze profit out of the business. That's changing in the past five years, as profit continues to decline each year.
So yes, go ahead and cheer Kohl's on as they grow their online business. The digital folks are happy with performance. But Kohl's has not posted a Playoff-Caliber year since 2010 (maybe 2011), and is flirting with a potential losing season in 2016. Once a brand posts a losing season, it is not uncommon to watch the birth of a rebuilding process.
Are you interested in your own Hillstrom's Rebuild project? Here's what you get.
- Your own copy of Hillstrom's Rebuild, now available on Amazon (click here).
- An evaluation of your Won/Lost record, provided your financial team will release net sales and pre-tax profit data.
- A rolling twelve month evaluation of your business.
- A 2x buyer and new + reactivated buyer comp segment analysis of your business.
- A life table analysis of how 1x customers convert to 2x status.
- A mini Digital Profiles analysis to understand how your marketing channels and merchandise categories fit together.
- A mini Merchandise Forensics analysis.
- An evaluation of how 1x buyers convert to 2x status via a Lifetime Value Simulation #LTVS.
- Click here for project pricing and file formats.
- FIRST TWO CLIENTS TO SIGN UP FOR A REBUILD PROJECT GET TO ENJOY 20% OFF ... AS YOU KNOW, IF YOU ARE ON THE LEADING EDGE OF NEW METHODOLOGIES, YOU BENEFIT VIA REDUCED COSTS!