Check out the tweet from Anna and Kristina last week (Twitter page ... click here for the website).
- Tweet: "Only a couple days left to get your official A&K Shopping Bag for 25% off! Join our FB or G+ page for disc. code. Info: bit.ly/xqXtxs"
Judy is going to ask what the heck G+ is? Then she'll frown and continue to thumb through her Terry's Village catalog.
Jasmine probably isn't going to pay $29.99 for a zippy bag anyway, she can get a $39.99 bag on Groupon for $15.00.
But Jennifer, she's going to head out to Google to see what else she can get for $29.99. She'll search, she'll check out brands, she'll check out affiliates for coupon codes. After all of that, she'll join the Anna & Kristina G+ page and get the bag for $29.99.
What has been accomplished?
A bag was sold at a discount.
Google earned a pair of eyeballs, allowing them to further track Jennifer's behavior.
A bunch of web analytics providers will take notice that Jennifer didn't convert, and folks will criticize you for being a dumb marketer.
Attribution wonks have a field day parsing her G+ and Google Searches and email click-throughs and affiliates visited and all that stuff.
But Jennifer "bagged" her prey. She couldn't care less about being multi-channel. Channels are a means to an end. Liking Anna and Kristina on Facebook or G+ is irrelevant, it was the way that Jennifer got discounted merchandise.
- Anna & Kristina are giving up $10 of profit to get you, the loyal customer, to like them on Facebook or G+. How would you recoup this $10 investment per customer in social media channels? Please provide examples with reasonable, actionable data.
- Is Jennifer buying because of marketing channels, or because of discount/promotional strategy? How would you separate the impact of marketing channels from the discount/promotional strategy employed here?
- What is the likelihood of this strategy working with Judy?
- What is the likelihood of this strategy working with Jennifer?
- What is the likelihood of this strategy working with Jasmine?
Code Judy, Jennifer, and Jasmine in your database! Email me if you want me to do it for you.