This letter is for the third(ish) of my audience that have a strong heritage in catalog marketing. If this isn't your thing, delete, and come back tomorrow.
Dear Catalog CEOs:
Let's see if I've got this right.
- You got your panic-centric email from Midland Paper. I have a lot of opinions about the printing industry, none of those opinions are productive.
- Your merchandise is sitting on a ship off the coast and you're being asked to pay more to ship stuff from China that may end up sitting on a ship off the coast.
- You're going to have to increase prices to offset increased costs.
- You may well be forced to increase prices.
- The increase in prices depresses customer response.
- Depressed customer response requires you to save money somewhere ... that's where you will put less paper in the mail ... allowing you to balance profitability.