- A twelve-month buyer file that is growing.
- Annual retention rates that are not necessarily increasing or decreasing.
- New customer counts that increase at healthy rates, year-over-year.
- A diversity of sources for new customers, no one source accounts for a disproportionate number of new customers.
- Profit per New Customer, on average, tends to improve over time, enabling the business to expand new customer acquisition activities.
- Catalog Marketers offer Prospect Catalogs, smaller page counts with best-selling merchandise, enabling the business to significantly improve productivity and increase profit per new customer.
- Focus is on customers, not channels. The goal is to find inexpensive ways to acquire new customers. If newspaper ads work best, the business doesn't care, it simply expands into newspaper ads. Magazines, radio, television, billboards, search, whatever the channel, the business doesn't care, it simply seeks to find new customers.
- A "variable budget". In other words, the Finance Department allows the marketing team to spend infinite dollars, as long as profit per new customer meets a pre-established threshold.
- Twelve Month Payback: Most successful businesses are willing to lose money on customer acquisition, at an incremental level, as long as the customer pays back over a twelve-month period of time.
- Customer Age: Successful businesses tend to acquire younger customers, so that the average age of the customer does not age near the rate of time (i.e. each year that passes is matched with a customer file that is one year older).
- Full Price Purchases: Successful businesses, unless discounts/promotions/pricing are part of the company ethos, tend to acquire customers who purchase at full price. Purchases at full price guarantee that profit will be generated on the transaction.
November 01, 2011
The Life Spiral: Low Cost Customer Acquisition
When I look at the most successful companies I work with, I notice similar trends.
As prices increase, annual repurchase rates decrease. For the Merchandise Categories at an actual brand, here's what the relationship lo...
It is time to find a few smart individuals in the world of e-mail analytics and data mining! And honestly, what follows is a dataset that y...
Here's a common dynamic in my projects ... see if this happens at your company. Your average price point is $40.00. Customer response...
I always face a challenge from marketers when I talk about implementing a Welcome Program. When I tell marketers that a Welcome Program gene...