Times have changed. The "multichannel era" and the era of "best practices" have made understanding demographics / psychographics more important than ever.
Take the folks at comScore. They are suggesting that Twitter users skew older than average.
And guess what? Twitter users are likely to live in urban areas (thanks Don Libey of Libey's DailyDM and Multichannel Advisor). That's a micro-channel, folks --- urban baby-boomers communicating in passionate 140 character bursts.
If you were forced to fill in the demographic and psychographic profile of users of the following channels, could you do it?
- Catalogs, Especially Customers Coming From Co-Ops.
- E-Mail Marketing.
- Mobile Marketing.
- Paid Search.
- Urban / Suburban / Exurban / Rural.
- Merchandise Preferences.
- Price Point Preferences.
- Physical Channel Preferences.
- Online Visitation Preferences.
- Advertising Preferences.
- Lifestyle Preferences.
- Opt-In And Pull Marketing Preferences.