- "We froze our merit increases for the year for our associates, while at the same time we reviewed every associate's compensation with the market and if they were not in line with the market, we did correct that." KH: Try being an employee with no salary increase and fuel costs rocketing skyward. Long-term, employees nationwide will have to find a way to organize or to gain leverage.
- "What we are always doing is looking at the productivity of the last catalog mailed versus the next dollar that we can spend on paid search, and over the past couple of years, we have been able to intensify the efforts in search and reduce some of the marginal catalog mailings."
- "We have eighteen million customers who have opted-in and given us their e-mail address". KH: To the e-mail community --- how do you craft an e-mail program, individualized for eighteen million customers? Any ideas?
- "We and Sams continue to be fiercely competitive ... and we are both in each other's warehouses more than once a week shopping key items."
- "Internet is a very profitable business segment for us. Within the Ann Taylor division it represents about 10% of the total division’s sales and something less than that for Loft."
- "Although the Direct business is $1.5 billion, it is the fastest growing channel. We will continue to see growth out of that channel. What you are going to see is within the catalog business. We will not mail as many catalogs or pages. It will still be a heavily integrated web-based business. The community piece is continuing to build and how do you play within the community, which is a new marketing target for us. I think also how do you think about step size, like VS - you know we have VSPink.com and how we are linking that back to the mother ship, and there is some exciting things there. We started to test mobile commerce, and it is just beginning touching in the water so, it may not be a great experience but you get on your mobile phone and you can place orders and through Catalog Quick Orders. It is amazing how many people have already responded to that test. You are starting to see a lot of that in Japan. As our technology and zones continue to upgrade in the United States, I still think that there is some interesting opportunities there."
- "Direct to consumer sales surged by 34% with just 3% additional catalog circulation, with all three brands contributing meaningfully to the result."
- "All three brands continue to innovate in direct to consumer business. For example, Anthropologie began shipping internationally last quarter, Free People introduced product reviews and Urban Outfitters expanded its use of video, generating more than 17,000 YouTube views on its most successful clip."
- "The key there is that Bloomingdales.com has a huge potential and we think that that is where we should be investing our resources as opposed to the catalog, and it will have a minor impact on sales and no impact on profit as we discontinue that in 2009. ... We are expecting to do $1 billion this year in volume in our direct businesses and we expect it to continue to grow significantly from there."
Hillstrom's Multichannel Secrets At Lulu.com: