Then it didn't happen ... so the social media experts blamed the victims ... the businesses they sold their mess of promises to ... it's their fault, they implemented strategies incorrectly.
All of that is largely behind us, now. The future is clear.
- If you are a business with under $10,000,000 in sales and Jasmine as a customer, social media means everything.
- If you are a business with Judy as a customer, social media is meaningless.
- A $10,000,000 business with Jasmine as a customer might generate 20% of their business via social media. Meanwhile a $1,000,000,000 (billion) business might generate between 0.2% and 1.0% of volume from social media. Let's go with 0.6%.
Pretend you are a billion dollar business, generating 0.6% of your volume from social media.
- That's $6,000,000 in annual sales.
- That's between $900,000 and $2,400,000 (depending upon the business model) in annual profit.
What does this mean?
- Social Media gurus: STOP TALKING ABOUT ENGAGEMENT! It causes Execs and just about anybody else to TUNE OUT!
- TALK ABOUT PROFIT. If you work for a major mall-based retailer, your social media work is responsible for a ton of profit. Use this as a case to get you the resources you need.