Sometimes, we make everything way, WAY too hard, don't we?
If you really want to simplify things, do the following:
- Any purchase via Mail, Phone, or Online via Catalog Matchback is considered a TRADITIONAL purchase.
- Any purchase via Email, Search, Affiliates, Banners, Retargeting, and other Online Marketing techniques is considered a TRANSITIONAL purchase.
- Any online purchase not attributed to any marketing, any Mobile purchase, and any Social purchase is considered a TRANSFORMATIONAL purchase.
- Weight historical purchases ... purchases 0-12 months ago = 1.00 * Demand ... purchases 13-24 months ago = 0.50 * Demand ... purchases 25-36 months ago = 0.25 * Demand ... purchases 37+ months ago = 0.125 * Demand.
- Multiply all historical orders by Weighted Demand.
- The segment (traditional, transitional, transformational) that holds the most weighted historical demand is the segment that the customer is classified in.
Be prepared to be dazzled!